Monday, August 4, 2008

Making my Olympic Debut

Ok, no I'm not. I used to fantasize about doing that though. I was going to be an Olympic wrestler and you could watch me on t.v. at 2:00 am since that's where the wrestlers are relegated to. Anyway, the Olympics will soon begin in Beijing. My first response to the Olympics being held in China was one of disappointment and anger. I was disappointed with those in charge of choosing who should get this honor, that they would so readily ignore the blatant human rights violations and environmental crimes of this great and oppressive nation. The anger was with China itself, for perpetrating these ills, for persecuting those who believe as I do, and for having the arrogance to think that I just won't notice these things because I am so taken aback by the beauty and history of the country (both of which, i have to say again, the current regime would like to either exploit or do away with). While my feelings of anger and disappointment still remain, I long ago changed my opinion as to whether or not the games should be held there. At this point I am glad to have it there because it has brought China's crimes to light once again (though it deserves much more coverage than it has received). I look forward to the "Free Tibet" banners being unfurled at the opening ceremonies and, with any luck, the protests in the streets. Hopefully too churches will take this opportunity to teach about what happens to the church in China, that churches are required to register and told what they can teach, that the officially sanctioned Christian church in China is not in fact Christian at all and that those who strive to follow the true faith must do so secretly and face imprisonment without trial. Silly Chinese government, the church is still growing.

Maybe I'll try a different sport. If only I were athletically inclined in some way. Or maybe we can pick the best protest of the coming days and give them a medal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan- you should totally get info together and post it on the forum. I'd love to see regular updates as to how we can pray for the church in China all through the olympics...
What do you think?

Dan said...

I'll see what I can do!